Skip to content

Let There Be Light, Part 2

February 15, 2010

This weekend included a flurry of projects and activities, the first of which was completing the lighting project in the laundry room.  For those of you that missed the first half of the project, check it out here.

Now that the lights were installed, we had oodles of cords and plugs hanging out of the wall.  The first step was to strip the wires before we linked them together, like this:

If you aren’t an electrical pro like my hubby, you may want to check out a book on how to do this before trying it.  Most importantly, make sure that you’re not using regular tape on these projects.  Use the proper electrical tape.

Each of the three lights that we installed had a cord running out of it, so light A’s cord was attached to light B’s cord which was in turn attached to light C’s cord.  The electric plugs were all cut off (removed, nixed, thrown away), in order to do this.  Next, we ran the one single cord (coming from light C) into the switch.

A side note: On all of these projects that I couldn’t successfully complete by myself (read: I don’t know how to do independently), I’ve asked the ever-so-helpful other half to be patient and to teach me.  That’s why in a lot of these pictures, you’ll see that he is doing something, and then I take over.  The “behind the scenes reality” is that in situations like this one, where I have no expertise and don’t want to start a forest—err, home fire—I wouldn’t risk doing it myself without his guidance, so he walks me through the steps.  And that’s what you see right here as I’m putting this switch together.

And at about this point, my doorbell rang and look what I found!  Chris had some gorgeous Peruvian lilies delivered for Valentine’s Day.  I still can’t believe that this is the eighth (yep—you read that right—8th) Valentine’s Day that we’ve celebrated together.  I loved them, and they’re enjoying their new home on our front entry way table for the time being.

After all of the wiring was hooked together properly, we moved on to the cord hiding step.  We used wire mold to complete this task.  The mold is self-adhesive, and has a slit that the wire is then inserted into.  You can either buy a package, or each piece separately, which is what we chose—and it ended up saving us some dough.  We used the elbow joints when they would fit (once), and that was about it.  We found that a screwdriver came in handy to push the wires into the switch and into the tubing.

Before, dark and dreary.

After, it’s bright and cheery!

Let there be light!!!

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. Jen permalink
    February 16, 2010 6:51 am

    Okay Chris, next time you are out our way I am going to enlist your help in lighting my closet.

  2. Barb Pond permalink
    February 17, 2010 10:03 am

    I can see that we will have to make a Chris-and-Katie-to-do list next time you’re in Colorado:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: